These are our upcoming events. To see the event details head to our Facebook page. Please register in advance by sending us a message letting us know you would like to come.
Dates and locations are subject to change depending on weather.
Annual Harbour Clean Up
20 September 2020
Annual Harbour Clean Up
Frank Kitts Park – Whairepo Lagoon, Wellington
Following the initial cancellation and then a cancellation due to the Lockdown the Annual Harbour Clean Up is now back up and running and is set to happen in September 2020!
Join Ghost Diving New Zealand and Sponsors Mares and SALT NZ at the biggest dive clean up in New Zealand – our Annual Habour Clean Up!!
This will be an ocean and shore based clean up once again targeting rubbish in and around the Wellington foreshore specifically at and around Frank Kitts park.
There will be a competition for most interesting find and a number of other spot prizes so be sure to come along and help out.
Scuba divers, free divers and shore crew all needed! Be prepared to get wet and dirty!
DATE: Sunday 20 September 2020.
9.00am – Registrations open,
10am – Briefing
10:30am – Divers in the water.
2.00pm ish clean-up and pack down.
LOCATION: Frank Kitts Park – Whairepo Lagoon, – look for the GDNZ signs.
Scuba Divers who wish to participate must have a minimum of 50 logged and be comfortable working in low / zero visibility.
Scuba and Free Divers must provide their own gear and tanks. If you also have your own catch bag(s) or float boat for collecting rubbish, please bring this along and ensure they are named.
If you would like to join in the fun and participate as part of the shore crew, you will need to make sure you are wearing fully covered shoes and bring a pair of gardening gloves……. also be prepared to get down and dirty!
Shore Crew are needed to:
1) Supporting the divers, monitoring positions, and ensuring the safety of the other shore crew members;
2) Picking up rubbish from the shore and surrounding area;
3) Collecting rubbish from the divers and delivering this to the decritter station;
5) Recording rubbish collected;
6) Clean up and pack down;
7) Other tasks as needed.
The fantastic team from the Island Bay Marine Education Centre will also be on site to show you the weird and wonderful creatures we find, and help to educate you more on what we do!
ALL PARTICIPANTS, SHORE CREW AND DIVERS, MUST REGISTER ON ARRIVAL.
• This is a free family friendly event, but children must be supervised at all times by an adult.
• Closed toe footwear must be worn for safety.
• Please bring your own hand protection (gardening gloves or similar).
• Don’t forget your own water bottle and bring sunscreen if it’s a warm day.
• Dress for the weather (warm clothes and jackets) – we go ahead rain or shine.
• There will also be plenty of work for non-divers to get involved.
If this event is cancelled due to weather, notification will be given on the Facebook page, the day before.
We look forward to seeing you there!